Hong Kong

Dolman consultants travel regularly to Hong Kong to meet with clients who include elite international law firms and regional offices of multinational corporations. We have conducted numerous recruitment campaigns for international law firms in Hong Kong seeking Australian and New Zealand lawyers who specialise in corporate, banking, commercial litigation, insolvency, information technology, telecommunications and employment law. Whilst lawyers with language skills are very attractive, opportunities still exist for talented lawyers wishing to work in one of the world’s most exciting cities




  • If you are an Australian citizen you must apply to either the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate or direct to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for an Employment Visa.
  • If you are being sponsored by your employer they must show: that they particularly need you as an employee; that you have the skills needed; that those skills are not available locally; and that they will repatriate you if necessary. You must show that you have the required skills. This can include a diploma, a degree, and/or a reference.
  • Every adult intending to reside in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply in person to the Immigration Department for a Hong Kong government identity card within 30 days of your arrival. You will be required to carry your ID cards with them at all times. The fines for failing to produce it upon the request of a qualified official (mostly the police who carry out frequent spot checks in the streets in search of illegal immigrants) can be hefty.



If you are admitted in an Australian jurisdiction, in order to be admitted in Hong Kong you must:

  • Have at least 2 years of post admission experience;
  • Pass the Overseas LawyersQualification Examination (OLQE); and
  • Intend to reside in Hong Kong for at least 3 months following your admission.

The OLQE involves four open book written examination on the topics of Conveyancing, Civil and Criminal Procedure, Commercial and Company Law and Accounts and Professional Conduct, as well as an oral examination on the Principles of Common Law.

If you have less than 2 years post admission experience in your home jurisdiction, you may accumulate this experience by practicing as a registered foreign lawyer. There are no exams to be registered as a foreign lawyer and provided you have a current practicing certificate from your current jurisdiction you will be admitted as a foreign lawyer upon payment of a $HK 10,000 registration fee


Top Firms


  • Allen & Overy
  • Baker & McKenzie
  • Clifford Chance
  • Deacons
  • Freshfields
  • Herbert Smith
  • Johnson Stokes & Master
  • Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
  • Linklaters
  • Lovells
  • Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
  • Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison
  • Richards Butler
  • Shearman & sterling
  • Simmons & Simmons
  • Skadden Arps Slater Meagher & Flom
  • White & Case


Useful Contacts






Dolman recruits talented lawyers for top international United Kingdom and United States firms with offices in Singapore. Project finance and insolvency lawyers are particularly sought after.



Australian citizens do not need a visa to enter Singapore. However, to work there as a lawyer, you will require an Employment Pass. To apply for an Employment Pass, you will need a local sponsor, who is usually the company that is employing you. In order to eligible you must have a monthly basic salary of at least S$1,800. An Employment Pass holder may apply for Dependent Passes for a spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old. You can apply for Dependent Passes together with the Employment Pass.



Unlike, say, the situation in Hong Kong, most offshore (i.e. UK and US) firms in Singapore do not require overseas qualified lawyers, including Australians, to be admitted to the Singapore Bar in order to practice. This is because the current Law Society rules prescribe that offshore firms in Singapore are not allowed to advise on Singapore law (unless they are in a joint venture with a local Singaporean firm). In any case, most Australian and other foreign lawyers would be working on deals involving English or US law. However, there are procedures enabling specified Australians from certain “recognised” universities to be admitted to the Singapore Bar if you wish to be admitted.


Top Firms


  • Allen & Overy
  • Baker & Mckenzie
  • Clifford Chance Dla Piper
  • Herbert Smith Jones Day
  • Linklaters Milbank
  • Tweed
  • Hadley & Mccloy
  • Norton Rose
  • Watson Farley Williams


Useful Links





Contact Rubicor







By Sector

By Region

Case Studies


Job Board

New Entrants Program


Share Registry



Financial Highlights

Annual Reports

Corporate Governance